This week marks the beginning and end of a 48-hour mini-season for the Florida spiny lobster. On the last two days of July each year, some of Florida’s best crustaceans are available for a limited time only. Seasonal spiny lobster fishing in Florida begins on August 6 and continues through March 31.
The mini-season runs from Port Canaveral to Key West and St. Petersburg along the state’s coasts. The clawless lobsters can be found in waters as shallow as thigh-deep and as deep as 100 feet offshore during the two-day season. Divers search for them under ledges, on coral reefs, in shipwrecks, and along collapsed seawalls. As far as we know, there will be a short-lived season for spiny lobster in Florida in 2019. mini lobster season 2022
By the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the minimum carapace length for spiny lobsters must be greater than 3-inches. Starting at the forward edge between the rostral horns, the carapace is measured along the middle of the carapace until it reaches its back edge.
Is There A Bag Limit For Spiny Lobster?
Yes, there is a limit on the number of spiny lobsters you can catch. The bag limit, on the other hand, is subject to change depending on where you plan to go crab diving. The bag limit for the Florida spiny lobster mini-season in Monroe County and Biscayne National Park is six per person. For the next 48 hours, spiny lobster catchers throughout the rest of Florida are restricted to 12 bags each. mini lobster season 2022.
Also have a look at
Do I Need A Fishing License To Catch Spiny Lobster During The Mini-Season?
If you want to capture spiny lobster during the mini-season, you’ll need a saltwater fishing licence and a $5 lobster harvest stamp.
- What Are The Fishing Restrictions During Spiny Lobster Mini-Season?
- According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission,
- All egg-producing females are banned from being harvested or owned.
- During the sporting season in Monroe County, no night diving is permitted.
- On and off the water, possession restrictions are in place.
- It is against the law in John Pennekamp to catch lobster during the sports season.
- Coral Reef State Park and Everglades National Park, as well as the Dry Tortugas National Marine Sanctuary
- The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary is home to a national park and many no-take zones.
- This sanctuary is open year-round, so the rules are the same for visitors of both seasons.
- Spiny lobster’s normal season begins on August 6 and ends on March 31.
What’s The Difference Between Spiny Lobster And Maine Lobster?
Claws, or rather the lack of claws in the case of the spiny lobster, make the distinction between the two. When compared to Maine lobsters, spiny lobsters have smaller, less appetizing claws, according to Oceanfoods. Only the tail of the spiny lobster contains marketable flesh. mini lobster season 2022.
Also have a look at
Is Spiny Lobsters Good To Eat?
Yes, as reported by a number of credible sources. It may be used in a wide variety of dishes, according to a piece published by the Gates Hotel Key West, and it has a delightful flavor. It goes on to say that the best way to prepare the tail is to boil it first, and then grill it briefly. mini lobster season 2022
For more news like this stay tuned with newsconduct.com